Sr Specialist Environmental Health & Safety
Company: The Hershey Company
Posted on: November 16, 2023
Sr Specialist Environmental Health & Safety
Oct 20, 2023
Job Location: Goodyear, AZ
The Hershey Company is a high-speed complex environment.
Under limited supervision, provides leadership and direction for
the development of EH&S programs to ensure compliance with
regulations and company policy.
Interact with local, state/provincial, and federal level
Mentor, lead & guide Plant Leadership through EH&S Incident
Management, EH&S Management Systems, Audits, Training, Workers'
Compensation, Industrial Hygiene, and Projects as the subject
matter expert in safety.
Assist as the backup for the EH&S Manager, coach/develop the
EH&S Specialists, and lead EH&S committee teams.
Develop & drive the implementation strategy to reduce costs
associated with job-related injury and illness. Define corrective
actions that reduce stress that impair the health and ability of
- Implementation of specific EH&S policies and programs.
Develop and deliver EH&S training programs plant-wide. Provide
technical guidance on specific EH&S issues to Plant Leadership
& cross-functional teams to ensure compliance. Interpret OSHA/EPA
and external agencies' standards/regulations and maintain a
cooperative relationship with OSHA/EPA and external agencies.
- Perform regular internal audits & EH&S assessments,
document & reports findings, and follow-up on non-conformances.
Coordinate inspections of EH&S procedures, equipment, and
programs to ensure compliance with appropriate regulatory
requirements and risk reduction management. Report on findings and
work with plant management to develop action plans to address
deficiencies. Ensure action plans are implemented, and follow-up
- Independently execute investigations and analyze incidents to
identify trends in people safety. Track, initiate corrective &
preventative action plans, and communicate findings as appropriate.
Assist Plant Leadership in determining resolution and implementing
corrective actions. Use various computer support systems to
EH&S Management System & Continuous Improvement:
- Develop and drive the implementation of leading/proactive
indicators/metrics. Assist with developing, implementing, and
monitoring EH&S Management System aspects and written program
documentation. Conduct regular written program reviews and prepare
updates. Direct the evaluation of areas for hazards (physical,
chemical, biological, and environmental) and make recommendations
for improvement or define protective equipment requirements.
Participate/lead verification and validation activities for
EH&S Management System aspects and regulatory
- Provide technical expertise & assistance to Facilities and
Equipment Engineering groups in the design of protective equipment
for uses on processes and machinery: and, where necessary, redesign
equipment to eliminate/reduce environmental, safety, and health
- Assist with workers' compensation through detailed
investigation and follow-up. Provide updates and guidance to plant
leadership. Assist in case management within the plant.
- Facilitate, setup and gather data from sampling equipment.
Analyze industrial hygiene reports, and make recommendations.
Support of the industrial hygiene function and to the other EHS
Staff members as required to meet the objectives of Hershey's EHS
Project / Business Unit/ Operational Support:
- Drive continuous improvement through the utilization of EHS
program elements such as Take 5 For Safety, EH&S Documentation
Teams, Near Miss Program, Corrective Action initiatives, work
orders, QDR, Pre-start up reviews for engineering projects, and
other risk reduction programs.
- Lead EH&S documentation Team, and lead and/or participate
in multifunctional improvement teams to provide safety guidance and
safety problem-solving. Interact with Project Managers to ensure
safety issues are identified early in the project design and
development process and are evaluated and addressed.
- Create and implement training programs and informational
materials as required to convey EH&S policies and procedures
for new hire orientation, ongoing regulatory requirements, and
specialized training. Develop & conduct health and safety training
courses for supervisors and employees as needed.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully
perform major duties/responsibilities:
- Stay current with all applicable standards and regulations &
advise management on the changes impacting Hershey
- Working knowledge base of ergonomics to make modifications to
process in order to improve ergonomic position and reduce ergonomic
- Detailed working knowledge of federal, state, and local
occupational safety industry regulations and guidelines (OSHA, EPA,
- Strong document management skills and attention to
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills &
- Strong problem-solving/troubleshooting skills
- Strong auditing/assessment skills
- Strong leadership skills and ability to influence all levels of
- Proficiency in computer programs/software such as Microsoft
Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, electronic EH&S
management systems, and SAP PM
- Ability to self-lead work tasks to completion.
- Must be able to work well in a team environment but also to
- Must have strong employee training development and presentation
- Flexibility is key in this role as priorities change quickly.
Must be able to plan, prioritize, and complete multiple priorities,
move between tasks and projects on short notice, and quickly change
priorities based on customer and department needs, while meeting
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Ability to climb ladders to work platforms, and climb stairs to
other work areas. Lifting of moderately heavy items such as test
equipment or materials.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational/Industrial safety, Safety
Engineering, or other EHS-related field preferred. Equivalent
related work experience will be considered
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in a manufacturing
environment related to EHS program management.
- Preference manufacturing experience.
- Experience in EHS Management System (VPP, OHSAS 18001, ANSI
Z10) is a plus
Keywords: The Hershey Company, Goodyear , Sr Specialist Environmental Health & Safety, Healthcare , Goodyear, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!