Company: City of Goodyear
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Goodyear Police Department is looking for a Police Records
Specialist to join the team. This position will oversee, manage and
coordinate the daily operations and function of the Police Records
Division; this position prepares all legal documentation necessary
to initiate prosecution of a case. Handle all police reports filed
including review, correction, back up documentation, and retention.
Responsible for the accuracy of all official records and is
responsible for forwarding documentation to parties such as the
Courts and Attorneys. Provide technical guidance and interpretation
of policies and procedures to internal and external departments
concerning the confidentiality requirements and provision of police
record information to the public. This position serves as the first
point of contact with the general public by walk in or
The ideal candidate will have an Associate's degree, one year of
experience working in an office environment, minimum of one year of
experience working with records management systems, with an
emphasis on public safety or criminal justice records, and one year
of experience with records keeping including laws associated with
public records release of information. A high attention to detail
and a passion for customer service is a must. Spanish speaking is
At the City of Goodyear, you will be a part of an organization that
values its employees as its greatest asset. You will become part of
a dedicated team of professionals that are committed to build and
maintain a highly engaged workforce. You will be challenged to
learn and grow in an environment that values employee development
and career-building. You will thrive in a culture of
We believe that successful employees are those that possess six
Adaptability - Innovation - Empathy - Integrity - Initiative -
If these six core values are on your list of personal attributes
and you want to be a contributing member of Goodyear, then don't
wait -- APPLY TODAY!
Examination Process: Only a limited number of the most highly
qualified applicants meeting the City's requirements will be
invited for an interview. Examination process for this position
After successful completion of the oral board interview, applicants
continuing in the process will be given a background packet to
initiate the extensive background investigation.
During the background investigation, applicants will be given a
polygraph examination administered by a qualified, state licensed
police polygraph examiner. The examination will cover criminal
activity, drug usage, truthfulness, integrity and employment
The psychological evaluation consists of two parts: a series of
written tests to include a suitability assessment and an interview
with a certified Psychologist.
Substance Abuse Screening
In accordance with City guidelines, all employees who work in
safety sensitive positions will be subjected to pre-employment
controlled substance drug and alcohol testing. All offers of
employment are conditional upon an applicant's successful
completion of screening.
The City of Goodyear Police Department will automatically
disqualify any individual who has at any time:
- Been convicted of a felony or any offense that would be a
felony if committed in Arizona,
- Been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed
- Sold, produced, cultivated, or transported marijuana for
- Used marijuana for any purpose within the past two years,
- Illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic, other than
marijuana, for any purpose within the past five years,
- Exhibited a pattern of abusing prescription medication,
- Lied during any stage of the hiring process, falsified any
information on the application or background questionnaire.
- Formal Education/Knowledge: Work requires knowledge of a
specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature that may
be obtained with six-months/one year of advanced study or training
past the high school equivalency. Community college, vocational,
business, technical or correspondence schools are likely sources.
Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory
completion of advanced study or training.
- Experience: Minimum one year experience in a related
- Certifications and Other Requirements: Notary Public.
- Reading: Work requires the ability to read general
correspondence, records, reports, manuals, court paperwork, and
- Math: Work requires the ability to perform general math
calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and
- Writing: Work requires the ability to write general
correspondence, memorandums, records, reports, and letters.
- Managerial: Semi-Complex - Work requires functioning as a lead
worker performing essentially the same work as those directed, and
includes overseeing work quality, training, instructing, and
- Policy/Decision Making: Moderate - The employee normally
performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions
as to methods, procedures, and desired end results. There is some
opportunity for discretion when making selections among a few,
easily identifiable choices. Work involving discretion is typically
reviewed before finalized.
- Technical Skills: Broad Application - Work requires the use of
standard technical skills appropriate to the work environment of
the organization. Limited analysis and independent thinking is
- Interpersonal/Human Relations Skills: Moderate - Interactions
may involve support of controversial positions or the negotiation
of sensitive issues or important presentations. Contacts may also
involve stressful, negative interactions requiring high levels of
tact and the ability to respond to aggressive interpersonal
This information is intended to be descriptive of the key
responsibilities of the position. The following functions do not
identify all duties performed by the incumbent. Other duties and
responsibilities will be performed as assigned.
- Reviews and corrects Officers initial report entry, merges
reports, and scans all documentation needed into completed reports.
Must have knowledge of all state statutes to correct if necessary,
and ensure all proper back up documentation (field testing,
probable cause, domestic violence forms, victim's rights forms.
etc.) is accurate and included in completed reports. Prepares the
final disposition forms and fingerprint cards (maintained on site,
as well as duplicates sent to the state for criminal history
record). Ensures 100% accuracy of these documents.
- Trains, monitors, and provides feedback to staff in records
entry and assists Telecommunications, Officers, and citizens with
inquiries and locating information in the Records Management System
- Receives subpoenas for officers. Researches records and
prepares appropriate background information.
- Process all public records requests for the Police Department
including audio, video, and photographs. Researches requests,
reviews for legal criteria in releasing (under investigation,
redaction, etc.), and verifies the identity and involvement of the
requestor. This includes processing all requests for background
checks from other government agencies, recruiters, law enforcement,
and private companies.
- Performs administrative duties by preparing written
correspondence, processing paperwork, supplementing reports for
insurance letters, maintaining files, notarizing documents,
preparing and distributing accident forms, tracking and purging
records, maintaining INTOXILIZER Records, Radar records, issuing
permits and registrations, collecting fees, and coordinating
meetings and training.
- Provides customer service by directing customers and staff to
appropriate departments or external agencies. Provides assistance
to the public by answering and directing telephone calls, entering
calls for service (in the Computer Aided Dispatch computer
program), greeting visitors, resolving problems and answering
inquiries. Must be able to deal with situations that may involve
irate citizens or police intervention such as domestic violence,
child custody, and complaints against officers.
- Prepares receipts by entering and reconciling in Naviline and
forwarding to Finance Department.
- Acts as back up for the Administrative Assistant
- Enters criminal and civil citations into records management
- Prepares all legal documentation necessary to initiate
prosecution of a case. Forwards all documentation, within required
time frame, to the appropriate agency, including but not limited
to; Maricopa County Attorney's Office, City Prosecutor's Office,
Municipal and Justice Courts (depending on the location of the
offenses), and Juvenile Courts.
- Manages Volunteer staff (and occasional interns) by assigning
projects to and directing as needed for administrative duties.
- Oversees retention of the official records of the Police
Department in custody of the Records Division to ensure documents
are carefully maintained according to approved retention schedules.
Analyzes and prepares recommendations for City Clerk's office
Records Administrator to propose to the state.
- Responds to inquiries regarding interpretation of policies,
procedures, precedents, rules and regulations and Federal, State
and local laws as applicable to records entry into the police dept.
records management system.
- Prepares and distributes Uniformed Crime Report (U.C.R.) for
State reporting. Acts as department contact for UCR questions and
updates issued through the AZ Dept. of Public Safety for the
12 Month Objectives
- Obtain notary certification within 12 months of hire
- Review current policies and procedures regarding Police
Department records requests and releases for document, audio, and
visual records this will include records, telecommunications, and
property and evidence
- Become proficient on records redaction guidelines, Axon body
camera redaction and public records law
- Submit for attendance, and if approved, attend Police Records
Management training class
- Complete Phases I and II of the Police Records Training Plan
including but not limited to
- Background checks for law enforcement, records requests and
releases, basic forms such as ride along forms, vacation watches,
and fingerprinting, alert management, and discovery
Keywords: City of Goodyear, Goodyear , Police, Other , goodyear, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!